Janelle Monae in Elie Saab (Photo credit Getty Images)
As always, the Oscars 2017 was the most anticipated red carpet event of awards season, providing an insight into future red carpet and evening wear trends.
Here are our top picks of the looks seen on the red carpet and outside the after parties:
- Glistening gold – subtle shine and textured metallics, ranging from pale white gold to bronze, with pleated and fringe detailing.
Jessica Biel in Ralph Lauren, Kerry Washington in Michael Kors, Emma Stone in Givenchy & Nicole Kidman in Armani Privé
Dakota Johnson in Gucci, Jessica Biel in KaufmanFranco, Amy Adams in Tom Ford & Charlize Theron in Dior
- Lace – full length lace with ruffles, frills and flamenco inspired layered skirts.
Salma Hayek in Alexander McQueen, Kate Hudson in Roberto Cavalli, Ginnifer Goodwin in Zuhair Murad & Alicia Vikander in Louis Vuitton
- Sparkle – high shine sequins, crystal embellishments and encrusted jewel finishes.
Isabelle Huppert in Armani Privé, Sophia Boutella in Chanel Couture, Hailee Steinfeld in Ralph & Russo & Thandie Newton in Schiaparelli Couture
Lily Collins in Elie Saab, Laura Dern in Rodarte & Kate Beckinsale in Zuhair Murad
- Red – bold shades of vibrant red in satin, velvet, sheer and lace fabrications.
Alessandra Ambrosio in Ralph & Russo, Ciara in Jovani, Olivia Munn in Giambasti Valli, Karlie Kloss in Naeem Khan & Lauren Miller in Christian Siriano
Pauletta Washington, Viola Davis in Armani Privé, Ruth Negga in Valentino, Ginnifer Goodwin in Zuhair Murad & Isabelle Huppert in Armani
- Feathers & Fringing – 1920s style layered fringing and feathered skirts, combined with metallic finishes and beading.
Lily Collins in Elie Saab, Emma Stone in Givenchy, Halle Berry in Versace & Katy Perry in Jean Paul Gaultier
Emily Ratajkowski in Jonathan Simkhai, Olivia Culpo in Marchesa, Octavia Spencer in Marchesa a& Sophia Boutella in Chanel Couture
- Forest Green – deep shades of green, with colour coordinated accessories and jewels.
Alicia Vikander in Louis Vuitton, Shanina Shaik in Thai Nguyen Atelier & Brie Larson in Ralph & Russo
- Statement Shoulder – one shoulder silhouettes, draped necklines and tied shoulder details.
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Versace, Karlie Kloss in Naeem Khan & Scarlett Johansson in Azzedine Alaia
Diane Kruger in Alexandre Vauthier, Alessandra Ambrosio in Ralph & Russo & Halle Berry in Atelier Versace
- Capes & Trains – dramatic full length capes and trains create a bold statement
Chrissy Teigen in Zuhair Murad, Karlie Kloss in Stella McCartney, Amelia Warner in Emilia Wickstead & Ruth Negga in Valentino
Hailee Steinfeld in Ralph & Russo, Naomie Harris in Calvin Klein by Appointment & Jessica Biel in Ralph Lauren
USP: The Oscars red carpet looks provide inspiration for evening wear styling, fabrics and embellishments.