The Marc Jacobs Resort 17 mini-show proved a highlight of the recent cruise collections, channelling 1980’s kitsch in a irreverent collection bursting with nostalgic pop-culture references.
Models walked to a Duran Duran soundtrack, showcasing a contemporary take on retro glamour – mixing 1980’s prom dresses, vibrant neons and sequins with petticoats and military khaki.
- Prairie dresses with oversized puffed sleeves and belted waists.
- Full petticoats adding volume to skirts.
- Bow and necktie detailing.
- Oversized, slouchy jumpers with zip fronts.
- Metallic gold biker jackets with fur shoulders detail.
- 1980’s double denim in retro acid washes.
- Retro MTV logo sweatshirts – tipped to be the most coveted and best-selling piece of the collection.
- Neon strobe prints and vibrant leopard updates the bomber jacket.
- Patchwork prints on dresses – clashing zebra, leopard and tropical toucans.
- Military jackets in khaki and camouflage covered in patches and badges.
- Clashing prints were key – patchworks of animal skins, racing checks, and head-to-toe zebra.
- Round toed boots in metallic and patent leathers.
- Monochrome – Beetlejuice stripes, faux fur coats, sequined jackets in zebra print with clashing checks.
- Playful applique detailing.
- Sheer spotty tights worn with cowboy boots and pumps.
- Models sported frizzy crimped hair and thick black liner.
- Accessories were key – slouchy boots inleopard, zebra and python, retro sneakers, cowboy boots, waist belts, neckties and Madonna-esque lace gloves.
USP: Marc Jacobs took the 1980’s revival trend and ran with it – showcasing a fun and energetic collection, packed with kitsch references and hero pieces.