Here are some of our top picks from this years show:
- The work of London based artist Dan Singer features retro themed robots and action figures, referencing the pre-digital age with nostalgic colour palettes. For Pick Me Up, Singer created a new series of large-scale geometric designs using Hama beads.
- George Douglas is an illustrator and printmaker based in Edinburgh who creates compositions for publishing and poster design. Intersecting the worlds of photography, illustration, screen-printing and collage, his work looks at the overlap between personal artefacts and museum collections.
- Camilla Perkins, an illustrator based in Brighton, creates heavily patterned, brightly coloured prints that combine digital and hand-rendered elements. Her work for Pick Me Up explores the clothing and style of various African subcultures through illustrated portraits and painting.
- Daniel Fletcher uses screen-printing to create images and collages focusing on colour balance and composition. Living and working in South London, he takes much of his inspiration from this surroundings. Fletcher also set up and runs Yucca Press, a Peckham based risograph publishing press.
- Clay Collective is a group of like-minded artists who’ve built a collaborative space for the creation of new ceramic based work. In their dedicated area at Pick Me Up, the twelve members presented a selection of functional and decorative ceramic objects, including sculptures, vases, planters, bowls and other unique oddities. In addition, they ran a series of introductory workshops for those interested in trying their hand at the craft.
- The show finished with Alan Kitching: A Life in Letterpress – a major retrospective of Kitching’s life and work. Spanning six decades of his career at the forefront of graphic design, the exhibition featured sketchbooks, proofs, and equipment from his studio alongside his groundbreaking typographical work.
USP: Pick Me Up gives a platform to emerging talent and creative collectives, showcasing the wide range of outcomes for graphic design and illustration.